Culinary knife skills -- the very first thing you're taught at a professional culinary school, is also the first subject covered in the Stella Culinary School Podcast.
Whether you're a home enthusiast looking to take your culinary game to the next level or a professional cook, you need to have good knife skills. There's no way around; it doesn't matter how well equipped your kitchen is, how fancy the equipment is you use, if you don't have good knife skills, you aren't a competent cook.
This episode of the Stella Culinary School podcast gives you the foundational understanding necessary to develop excellent knife skills. Pair that with the 40+ instructional videos found in our culinary knife skills video index, and you'll be well on your way to mastering your knife skills.
In the discussion segment:
- What two knives you really need.
- How to choose a knife that's right for you.
- The difference between Japanese and German Knife Manufacturing.
- How important is a full tang knife?
In the technique segment:
- How to hold your chef's knife.
- How to use your guide hand for safety and accurate cutting .
- How to dice, julienne, brunoise and batonnet .
- Buy a 20# sack of potatoes and practice your dice, julienne, brunoise and batonnet .
- Bonus homework assignment: slice up at least three different types of large fruit and display on a large platter, mirror or wooden cutting board.
Ready to test your knife skills knowledge?
- Take The Culinary Knife Skills Quiz