In this episode of the Stella Culinary School Podcast we kick off our bread baking lecture series with a lesson on the four ingredients needed to make bread. We discuss the science behind flour, water, yeast and salt and how it will affect your overall bread dough recipe.
In this episode:
- The baker's percentage and why it's important.
- Gluten and what role it plays in producing a great loaf of bread.
- The difference between cake, active dry and instant dry yeast.
- Salt's effect on gluten networks and yeast.
- The role acidic, alkaline and hard waters play in dough development.
- The different types of flour used for bread baking.
Books mentioned in the culinary quick tip:
- Crust and Crumb by Peter Reinhart
- The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart
- Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson
- The Bread Builder's: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens by Daniel Wing and Alan Scott
Download & Listen To More Episodes
The Stella Culinary School Podcast is our core curriculum and the most effective method to gain knowledge and take your cooking to the next level. You can view and listen to all episodes by visiting the Stella Culinary School Podcast Index.