Spätzle - Basic Recipe
Spätzle is a simple egg noodle, almost resembling a dumpling, that I first fell in love with while an exchange student in Germany. My host mother would always serve the Spätzle with some sort of meat and rich gravy that these delicious little noodles would absorb like sponges.
|1⁄4||t||White Pepper (Ground)|
|1⁄8||t||Nutmeg (Freshly Grated)|
|1⁄2||c||Herbs ( Fresh, Finely Chopped)|
- Beat all ingredients together in stand top mixer with paddle attachment until thoroughly combined (about 2 minutes). You can also use a wooden spatula and hand mix until ingredients form a batter.
- Pass batter through a perforated hotel pan into boiling, salted water.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes, shock in ice water and remove when cooled (about 3 minutes).
- Drain Spätzle from shocking water and lightly coat with oil so they won't stick together.
- When ready to serve, sauté over high heat with a generous amount of melted butter until Spätzle is golden brown.
- Serve with a hearty meat dish.
Some ideas for the fresh herb component in this recipe are sage (classic), parsley, chervil, basil, oregano and majoram.