Spätzle - Basic Recipe
|1⁄4||t||White Pepper (Ground)|
|1⁄8||t||Nutmeg (Freshly Grated)|
|1⁄2||c||Herbs ( Fresh, Finely Chopped)|
- Beat all ingredients together in stand top mixer with paddle attachment until thoroughly combined (about 2 minutes). You can also use a wooden spatula and hand mix until ingredients form a batter.
- Pass batter through a perforated hotel pan into boiling, salted water.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes, shock in ice water and remove when cooled (about 3 minutes).
- Drain Spätzle from shocking water and lightly coat with oil so they won't stick together.
- When ready to serve, sauté over high heat with a generous amount of melted butter until Spätzle is golden brown.
- Serve with a hearty meat dish.
Some ideas for the fresh herb component in this recipe are sage (classic), parsley, chervil, basil, oregano and majoram.