Simple question: what should a regular guy who likes to cook, and cooks a lot, look for in terms of equipment, on a reasonable budget? What sizes, types and the like. Is there a specific brand that you all like? Best bang for the buck? Over-rated?
Sure, given an infinite amount of money, a sweet set of All-Clad and La Creuset would be great, but...and I do have a few pieces I've picked up as gifts over the years, but I'm looking at replacing some of my older stuff and wanted to know what would be a solid set of general purpose cookware to have on hand.
Are there places you guys like to find things, on-line or other? Is there a difference between the things you'd use in a restaurant (other than size) and what you use at home?
I have a pretty good set of cast-iron that I bought and inheritied over the years, so I'm pretty set there. I also have a 7 quart La Creuset dutch oven that works great for a variety of braising and cooking techinques....
Thanks in advance. I'd love to hear from many of you on this. As a scientist I'm pretty data driven! This is a fantastic site and forum. So glad I did a search on chicken thigh recipes!
- Pizza perfection--In search of a better Neopolitan pizza dough recipe
- English Muffins...
- Diastatic Malt Powder
- Source for Tabasco peppers
- How to cut up hard-cooked eggs
- Most powerful means of boiling water
- Triple cooked French Fries
- More Brioche hamburger buns
- Tri Tip baked and smoked in my Big Green Egg.
- My third attempt at sourdough boule