How to prepare chicken wings for 200 people

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to prepare chicken wings for 200 people

I found you on YouTube while searching how to prepare chicken lollypops, been watching your videos ever since!! (couple of months back).

Your caramelized onion video is simply WICKED, but i loved it!

I live in Israel, where we have our own football league (its called the IFL)

Its small but getting bigger.

This Thursday night our all star team will be playing against an American collage team here in Israel. I was given the opportunity to organize and sell "chicken wings" and a side dish at this game! (this will be the only food for sale at this game)

There will be a maximum of 500 fans and minimum of 200.

Athough i make awesome wings (imo), i have no experience in catering/selling wings.

The "kicker"!! ...if i do a good job Thursday night i will secure for my self a contract to sell wings in the future at all the IFL games. (a dream come true)

I NEED HELP!

As i do not yet own any portable equipment i was thinking the best way would be to prepare the wings at home  during the day, bring them to the game in a insulated cooler box and reheat at the stadium.

Would it be a good idea to bake wings for 40 minutes on high heat, let them cool down then coat in flower/potato starch and deep fry on the spot at the game for a couple minutes to heat and get that crispy effect, what do you think thus far?

Also any ideas for a side dish? I want do do something simple and and deferent. i was thinking waffle fries because we don't have them here, but i think it will be to much work.

Thank you in advance,

~Moishe

Jacob Burton's picture

What type of equipment will you have at the stadium? Do you have a lot of counter space? Also, will you have any helpers at the stadium? If we knew this, we could help you better formulate an execution plan.

For sides, fries are always good. I'm also a big fan of coleslaw with any type of fried chicken, not to mention, it's something you can make ahead of time and just spoon out when you get an order. I have a couple of coleslaw recipes up my sleeve if you're interested.

Cook With Passion!

Wow i can not believe you already replied.

I love this site... i have been telling everyone about it, if you start getting a lot of Israel traffic to your site you know its from me!!

As far as counter space i plan to bring one folding table (size: can seat 10) i can bring anotherone if needed.

And with equipment i don't have any, so i will buy/borrow whatever i need. I was at the hardware store today and i checked out portable burners, both gas and electric (about the same price).

I like the idea of pre cooking at home in the oven and re heating in a big pot of oil at the game.

What do you think about this? If you think this is a good idea, can you give me pointers as to the temperatures (of oven and oil), the timing and ingredients.

I mentioned potato starch in my first post, do you have any experience with frying chicken in potato starch? i experimented it with it for the first time like a month ago and the results where superb... crispy outside and soft chewier inside... really fantastic!

As far as staff i plan to have two workers helping and serving plus a cute flirty girl to get customers to like our facebook page for a free drink/beer (i think it would be cool to interact with these fans via facebook after the game to get feedback and discus menus for the upcoming games)

I have never had coleslaw with wings before, but i really like the idea. please do share.

Thanks,

~Moishe

Jacob Burton's picture

The problem with pre-cooking the wings is it's hard to get any-type of flour or starch coating to adhere. Hard, but not impossible. One work around is to dip the wings briefly in warm water which will make the skin slightly tacky and then toss with flour or starch of choice.

What I would recommend though is to first confit the wings and then fry. You can skip the curing step in traditional confit (the salting overnight part) and just slow poach in flavored fat or oil. Once the chicken wings are done, remove from the oil, allow to cool completely and refrigerate until ready for use. When you get an order, drop the wings into a deep fat fryer without any breading and fry until the skin is brown and crispy.

Transfer wings from fryer (after shaking off excess oil) directly to a mixing bowl that has a warm glaze waiting (something sweet/slightly spicy that isn't super thick, this way, the skin doesn't sog out). Toss around in glaze for a few seconds and serve immediately.

Chef David Chang uses a process very similar to this where he first will confit the wings in rendered bacon fat and then pan fry. Assuming you cant get bacon fat, I would use canola or grape seed oil with some crushed garlic, sliced shallots, fresh thyme sprigs and peppercorns.

The best part is, the execution on the chicken wings is super easy; the wings are already cooked, so you just have to crisp in the fryer to order, toss in glaze and serve.

If you want to do cole slaw, I would recommend an "Asian Style Slaw." Mix together shredded cabbage, finely julienned red onions, julienne carrots, seeded/thinly sliced cucumber and thinly sliced celery. Make this kaffir-lime aioli, but if you can't find kaffir lime leafs, don't worry about it, just leave them out. Mix the cabbage and vegetables with a generous amount of the aioli, add a few dashes of fish sauce for a savory flavor, and then add in some black and white sesame seeds and green onions thinly sliced on the bias.

The flavor profile should be sweet and sour with a little back hint of heat and some savoriness from the sesame and fish sauce. You may need to adjust the final flavorings with a little extra vinegar, sugar, spice or fish sauce to arrive at the final flavor balance. Just keep the "sweet/sour with a small kick" flavor profile in the back of your mind and trust your taste buds.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

labradors's picture
Adding some rice flour to your coating mixture can help to make it crispier, as well.

"Cooking is three things: passion, passion and passion." -- Samantha Vallejo-Nágera - MasterChef España

Thank you so much, i plan to experiment tonight and see how it goes, i keep you posted.

~Moishe

I have a few questions with poaching.

Can i poach a large amount of wings (5/10 pounds) with flavored oil in deep oven tray or really large pot in the oven at 150 degrees?

How do i know when wings are ready?

~Moishe

Update; I just poached the wings in the oven using a large stainless steal pot. I used 6 lbs of wings in flavoured canola oil, I did not yet buy all the suggested ingredients for flavouring the oil so I used what ever I had in the house and the results were amazing!!! To flavour the oil I used fresh mint leaves fresh coriander fresh two long fresh stalks of garlic, crushed black pepper and 2 spooned dried ginger. Was in the oven for 3 hours with temp 150 degrees. Put them in fridge over night and will fry tomorrow. I did try a few on the spot and they were simply delish. So soft, tender and flavourful. Any questions thus far? -Moishe
Jacob Burton's picture

Sounds like you're on the right track! Fry those puppies at 375F until golden brown and crispy and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

OH EM GEE  these wings are off the chain!!

I just made an awesome sauce for the wings: cup sweet soy sauce, cup sweet sour source and big table spoon of cayenne pepper, and a spoon black pepper.

I simply poured a little sauce over boiling hot wings just out of the fryer mixed in a bowl.

Taste absolutely fantastic!

Is anyone listening? do you guys want updates? I would love to share but if no one is interested I don't have to.

So in the end I am not doing coleslaw, bc i need a second side that people can still buy if they dont want wings. I didnt think i could sell just plain coleslaw.

So the most simple and cheap option is frozen french fries.

I doubt anyone here will know, but what is the best way to prepare frozen fries?

Which oil? At what temperature? Should i bother blanching and cooking twice? should i defrost fries first or dump them in frozen.

I bought a second hand deep fryer today btw!! it has two separate fryers (one for chips & 1 4 the wings)

I plan to upload pictures of everything, in this the right forum for photos or should i start a new thread?

Thank you all for all your help and advice thus far!!

~Moishe

Jacob Burton's picture

Yes! Give us all the dirty details. This is your thread so post away!

There are quite a few of us that know our way around frozen fries. The fries will come par-cooked already so no need to blanch first or double cook. Just drop frozen into a hot fryer and let them rip.

The oil that I use is a canola fry oil which is specifically formulated for frying at high temps for an extended period of time. It's pretty common to fry the French Fries at about 375F. When they're golden brown and crispy, they're done. Shake off excess oil while the fries are still in the basket and then dump in a large mixing bowl with a few paper towels at the bottom. Season immediately with kosher salt.

I know this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it any ways: don't undercook the fries. I can't tell you how many restaurants I go to and they don't let the fries cook long enough. Soggy, limp, greasy fries are so depressing. I have to hold back tears every time.

Also, there are other fats besides Canola Fry oil that you can use, but for a large deal like this, I think canola will be the best all around choice. If you have any fries leftover, take them home with you and try and score some duck fat. Duck fat fries are amazing.

Also, peanut oil and straight lard are the two best fats for frying French Fries in, IMO, but you have allergy concerns with peanut oil and lard is harder to find these days (not to mention it breaks down faster and has a lower smoke point then canola fry oil).

Give us the details!

GreenBake's picture

What is the best way to find out which canola oils are specifically formulated for frying at high temperature? Is there specific wording? Do they mention smoke points? Brands?

The package wording does not give me confidence I’m getting the better product.

I was wondering the same thing, I just found a great sale on canola oil. They are both the same price, only difference I can tell between the two of them is the color, one is a darker brown and the other much lighter and more see through . I will try to attaché a picture
Jacob Burton's picture

It should say "Canola Fry Oil." If I had to choose, I would go with the lighter colored oil. That usually (but not always) has a higher smoke point.

Jacob Burton's picture

We need an update WIT770! How the wing selling go?

it's just like those t.v. shows........

we have to wait until next season to find out the ending.

I am so sorry I did not update you all right away!!

The gig could not of worked out better, I prepared way more then I actually believed I would sell and by the end of the night I had completely sold out of everything, including soda and beer!

Right after this gig, I secured my self a really good job and learning opportunity at a super high end local gourmet Japanese Israeli fusion style restaurant.... and I have been so consumed there for the past 8 or so months, its incredible. I have learned so much and really just been working my ass off. I finishing work at 1:am 7 nights a week! 

I actually just gave notice and I plan to leave the job in two weeks. Even though I love the work, the hours are insane and I have no social life.

So I am on the lookout for a job at either one of the hotels or at a catering company.

Back to the wings and football. In the summer I secured the contract to sell food during the regular season... I have already done two games and tonight is my third game.

(i make more money at each game then i do working a whole week at the restaurant, another reason why i am leaving)

I will (please gd) take some photos tonight of the set up.

Thank you Jacob and everyone for your support!

PS. the boot camp looks amazing, unfortunately I wont ever be able to sign up as I keep kosher :(

esavitzky's picture

Glad this all worked out for you and best of luck.

I am intrigued by the thought of an Israeli-Japanese fusion restaurant.  Can you share a link to the restaurant menu?  What could it possibly include?

Udon noodle chicken soup

Lox and cream cheese sushi rolls

Tempura potato latkes

Gefilte sushi

Brisket teriaki

Elliot

Zalbar's picture

Way to go, glad that everything worked out!

New Guy: "I thought you weren't supposed to cut towards yourself?"

Me: " No, YOU aren't supposed to cut towards yourself. I know what I'm doing"

On the subject of wings, how glorious is the almighty Franks Hot sauce?

labradors's picture

Frank's is okay.  Try Sriracha, though, and you'll never go back.

if you mean mix sriracha into franks then im all about it!

labradors's picture

Nope.  Just use Sriracha, instead of whatever hot sauce you would usually use.  There'd certainly be nothing wrong with mixing the two, however.

Please register or login to post a comment.